If you own an iPad, you’ve probably pictured a situation where it gets stolen or your lose it, and now, every time you remember that, you get the chills. Don’t worry, you’re not the only one. With all of us keeping our personal data stored on our smartphones and tablets, one of the worst nightmares is that data falling into the wrong hands. Thankfully, there are ways to secure your iPad and today we’ll share with you an app that’s perfect for this – Lookout.
Lookout offers a combination of several useful features in one app. If, by any chance, you lose your device, you can log into lookout.com on any other device with an Internet connection and locate your iPad on a map. You can even make it sound a very loud alarm. Lookout also saves your iPad’s location while it’s still got power, backs up all of your contacts and notifies you if you need to update your OS. Sounds pretty useful, doesn’t it?
Here’s how to set up Lookout on your iPad:
1. Download and install Lookout.
2. When you launch the app, you’ll be asked to turn on Location Services. Go to Settings to do this.
3. After enabling Location Services, sign up for a free Lookout account (lookout.com).
4. You’ll be asked to enter your email address and a password when you go about creating your account. Once you’ve done that, tap Submit.
5. At this point, you should be logged into your account. The app will ask you if you want to receive notifications in case anything suspicious happens. Tap OK if you want to enable this option.
6. If you want to back up your contacts, tap the Backup button and then Enable.
You can also fiddle with Lookout’s general settings (the gear icon in the top right corner), get status reports (a banner will appear on your screen, pointing out which areas need your attention) and set up protection if your device gets lost (the Missing Device section).